Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's in a Name?

This week I am 22 weeks pregnant. 18 weeks to go! Sometimes that sounds like a long time. I mean, I still have FOUR MONTHS to go! Four months from Saturday is my due date. But then I think about how quickly that time will probably go by. I mean, doesn't it always seem like one minute school is starting and the next minute it's Christmas?! Christmas will be crazy around here this year! I'll have to do my Christmas shopping early...which will be the first time in my life. Haha!
Anyway, we still have four months left, so I'm really not freaking out about this, but....I cannot find a name that I like! I mean, I have a couple that I kind of like, but nothing that I hear and think "that's it!" When I was pregnant with Drue, I knew that I loved that name. It wasn't Drew Barrymore that inspired me...believe it or not. ;) I had seen a character in a movie that was a girl named Drew years earlier and fell in love with it. Her dad and I both agreed that this would be her middle name and she would go by it. We would not spell it D-R-E-W, because that's how boys spell it. We would not spell it D-R-U, because that's kind of thuggish...like Dru Hill! Haha! No, we would spell it D-R-U-E! Perfect!! ;)
However, we could not agree on a first name for her. I loved Kaylee. In fact, my friends and I all called her Kaylee all the time! Her dad didn't like that name, though. He liked the name Kirsten. But I didn't want that to be her name. We avoided the problem for awhile. For so long that she didn't have a name for 3 days after she was born! On Day 3, we finally got down to 2 names: Gracie (which by the way, I had suggested MONTHS earlier and he didn't like) and Elizabeth (my middle name). He left the final decision up to me. I knew as I looked at her precious little face that day that she was Gracie Drue. :)
This time....I've got nothing! Where is that name that I'm looking for? The one that I hear and fall in love with? I cannot find it! Justin thinks I am so picky, but come on...it's my CHILD'S NAME! He thinks it's weird that I have an association with every name suggested. But I don't want to hear a name and think of some one elses's kid or that kid in elementary school that ate glue...I want to think of MY kid! Does anybody else know what I'm talking about at all?? I just need a good place to look for names. And a website with an A-Z listing of names is not working for me. Anyone have any good ideas? :)

1 comment:

  1. Picking a name is a big deal! I have a list I started in 7th grade of names I liked - yes, I'm a maniac.

    ReplyDelete