Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blessed by...

This week's "Blessed by..." is one of the big ones! I have been soooo blessed throughout my life by...Kathy Cate, my mom! What a woman! :)


Like many kids, I didn't fully realize the greatness of my mom until I was older with a daughter of my own. Let me tell you, when I was growing up, this woman HAD IT TOGETHER. But I had no idea...

I had no idea the amount of energy she used when every week she worked AT MINIMUM 40 hours a week. I had no idea that when she then went to the gym several nights a week, she was really putting forth effort....and she was buff! :) I had no idea what it took for her to be able to do these things and still cook dinner often for us. I had no idea how draining it was for her to stay up so late helping us with school projects...posters, reports, shadow boxes (remember those?!), etc. I had no idea how frustrated she must have gotten when she still had to pick up after all of us constantly, yet she did it. I had no idea how AWESOME she was when she was playing softball and volleyball in addition to all the busyness of life...and btw these are some of my very favorite memories. Yep, she had it together alright. If only I could have appreciated it during the time it was all going on. Man, I want to be like her. I'm still baffled how she could do it all when I struggle so much myself with less than this.


I had no idea how lucky I was to be raised in a Christian home. I had no idea that the godly woman I call my mom was setting such a good example for me that I would carry with me forever. I had no idea that when she and my dad were "making me" go to GMAs or SWAT, they were helping to instill a faith in me that was so deeply rooted, that it would surface years later as I fought my way out of a dark place that I struggled in for a VERY LONG TIME. I had no idea that she'd never give up on me even when it probably seemed I was a lost cause. I had no idea that one day I would want to be like her...because I thought she was just a silly PARENT that didn't know anything...at least not as much as I did. :) Nope, I had no idea how lucky I was...and still am.


I had no idea when I was little that years later my mom would be diagnosed with Parkinsons and Dystonia. I had no idea that I'd have to watch that strong, athletic, busy-bodied woman have to go through such tough times. I had no idea that I could hurt so much for her and not know how to express it. I had no idea that the crazy woman would try her best to keep up a strong front for US in her increasingly difficult battle. Then years later, I had no idea that my mom would be diagnosed with Uterine cancer on top of everything else. I had no idea how hard it would be to watch her go through surgeries and feel as if she were so fragile.


HOWEVER....I also had no idea how STRONG I would discover my mom is. I had no idea that when she got sick she would be such a fighter. I had no idea she could still be a ray of sunshine in my life. I had no idea that she would remain faithful to God and continue to be a good example for me and everyone around her. I had no idea she would still be so devoted to her family and making others happy. She is one of the most unselfish people I know. I had no idea she was sooo AMAZING! But. She. Is.


I LOVE YOU MOM!! You are so amazing and I am so proud to call you my mom! You are one of the strongest people I know. You have blessed me more than I could ever describe. Thank you.

These pics are from Easter. Drue LOOOVES her MeMo! :) The bottom pic is my dad and me with my mom. I love them. :)











4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet!!!!!!!!!! Your mom is awesome! What I wonderful tribute. Thank you Kathy for making your home and family a welcoming haven for me as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin. This post is just so precious. I have no idea how you wrote it... I would have been a basket case! ha!

    And girl. You are much stronger than you may feel. Much stronger.

    And I know that Drue will feel the exact same way about you that you feel about your momma.

    What a wonderful woman and mother you are!

    ReplyDelete